Monday, July 09, 2007

getting OLD, or is it just growing up?

Its funny what makes you see it.
did you see my hair in those pictures.
i don't really make my hair look like that do I?
oh and zoom in on my shirt pocket. Can you see it.
I was given that pen today by Rose. She got it for me while in Guam.
I thought it a lovely gift. Then I slipped it in my pocket... In that instant I felt what my Dad must have felt like. I have no idea what he felt like when he got his first pen.
Maybe he bought his first teacher pocket pen himself. He's always had one.
I mean maybe he actually went through the doors of proffesional teacherdom of his own accord. I backed into them and realized as I slipped pen to pocket I was through. Its funny the
sweeps of emotion one can swing in a day.
It was only in the sand that I forgot about it again.
I don't mean to suggest that Dad is old but to me the 24 year old that was already teaching when I was born was old to me.
well I have to go teach a class.

I just looked at the photo again I don't think the pen is visible. But can't you just tell that I have a good teacher pen in my pocket.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

that's funny. i was just thinking how dashing you looked with your hair like that. hadn't noticed the pen yet though.
must be that older man effect...

Dennis said...

Dear Joshua,

I didn't notice the pen but I notice the look. Not getting older just getting more comfortable in the skin of a teacher, something that you have been for a long time. Fighting it a bit because that is what most of us need to do for a while. But I also see/read the joy in the teaching, the very thing that has kept me going these 30 years now; touching the lives of students in all kinds of ways but mostly just by being who you are. You are always teaching who you are even when you are not teaching. You are gift to this little dozen, shaping their lives in ways that are difficult to see. Like bread on the water... The pen... yes I get a little fixated on a pen that I just have to use until I find that next pen that is just the right pen.

Love Dad

sara without an 'h' said...

I check up on this blog of your every day. I very much enjoy hearing your stories.

I wondered if you'd cut your hair when you started teaching! Looks good.

Adam said...

Holy crap you're in Korea. Man am I out of it. I've got some blog catching up to do.

Gimme your e-mail address so I can dig in your pants. THAT'S AN INSIDE JOKE EVERYONE, IT'S NOT AS GROSS AS IT SOUNDS.

adambsmit@gmail.com

Bronton said...

Holy crap Korea, indeed. I haven't talked to you in ages. It seems all is going well with you. I'm going to go through your past posts and read more. That's quite a nice thing that your father said. And if you want to talk about getting old, you should talk to my brother, who is now so bald that he has to wear a hat in the summer to avoid forehead cancer.

beim said...

Josh, great post. Made me think about all the pens sitting in my desk; especially the ones that I like. Hope all is well. You look like a teacher--not sure what that means, but you just have that look.

Swallowfield said...

Dear Joshua, the pens....you made me think of the pens....how often dad has said over the years "I just got the best pen...or I lost my best pen. And how many shirts became work shirts after I'd already moved the pocket once to hide an ink stain on a new shirt!!
Love you