Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Mary Pratt






For those of you who know MAry Pratt's work you know the intense luminesence of the paintings and the warm domestic sensibilities that indwell the work. Her work has been an influence on me since I saw her retrospective show at the VAG in 1996. I was able to see her at the Langley Fine Arts school in 97 when they opened the Gallery named after her in the school. So it was a strange circle of event the brought me back around to student teach at LFAS and to teach a grade 12 painting unit on Mary Pratt; and an even greater stroke of providence that brought her back to open the show and celebrate her birthday and the 10th anniversary of the gallery at langley Fine arts school on monday night with her newish husband Jim Rosen. They were both deeply glowing refined people. It was delightful to hear mary speak about her favorite work and the path she has walked over her career and espescially the last 10 years. A truly remarkable evening and tribute to a Canadian giantess.
grade 6/7 painting after Mary's work "the breakfast table"



grade 12 paintings


at the show.

8 comments:

beim said...

Mary Pratt's work is very similiar to some of my own finished product. If I didn't know better, I would think she is modeling her work after me. I'll have to take that as a compliment.

P.S. Mary Pratt...as in "Pratt and Taylor" on the Team 1040.

Mud On His Shoes said...

I hadn't thought of it before but youre right it is much like yours. I can't imagine why they didn't pick your work for the new stamp.

Unknown said...

hey joshua,

so i am in nicaragua right now teaching high school PE/Bible. i've been here for almost two years now and am planning on staying at least one more. the longer i am here, however, the less i want to go back to north america. i love the lifesyle, people, spanish and the opprotunities to serve God are incrediblely abundant.
if you ever feel inclined to visit central america, let me know :)

Mud On His Shoes said...

will do

beim said...

Josh, finally someone else besides me is asking the tough questions about the d@mn stamp (oops, sorry for the swearing, I've been hanging out with Ringma again).

Dane said...

i hope you didn't use a flash in the museum while taking those pictures! I almost punched a guy doing that in the van Gogh museum.

Mud On His Shoes said...

No Dane I didn't but my mom did. and punching people is worse then using a flash in a museum. ask jesus.

Matt when did you get to hang out with him?

Adam said...

Gee, I wonder if Mary Pratt influenced Josh's painting at all. I'm leaning towards "maybe."

I mean holy cow.