Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Pirates etc.

Pirates of the Caribbean came out here a week before its N american release. Kind of nice to know we're ahead on a few things. Anyway I liked it but that is not the point of this short story. I went with two friends on a rainy Wednesday. We arrived five minutes late and so quietly had to slide into the theatre. Our seats were were right at the front and so at the slightest break in the opening scene I quickly shuffled up the empty third row. About a third of the way into my rush to my seat I was thrown off balance as I stepped on something sizable and then groaning on the floor. I was standing on the back of a very drunk old and passed out Korean man. I leapt off with an earnest apology before my hysterical laughter caught me and I fell back in my chair crying with laughter as the guy took the seat right next to me pretending as if nothing had happened.
Despite how funny my friends and I found the situation no one else laughed maybe they didn't hear my expletives and laughter or maybe they're Korean and so once again it just didn't happen. If something is too embarrassing it doesn't exist. funny that. Perhaps it was another case of lost in translation; funny things are not funny. Who knows, I do know that the movie was apparently mostly lost in translation I was often the only person laughing. As mom would attest to thats probably not just a Korean thing but me at movies. Maybe I have a low setting on my funny-shit-o-metre

4 comments:

Reido Bandito said...

I dont know - I think stepping on drunk Korean is hilarious.
I have been listening to The Vampires by Paul Simon and relishing that week or so when you played that song almost everyday.

Justine Ann said...

hahaha!

beim said...

Oh man, that is freaking hilarious!

Amanda said...

hehe, that's crazy!

and no, you just have a very loud laugh. the rest of us just kinda chuckle quietly. you just don't hear it under your full-energy hahas. ;)