Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The little people I spend most of my time with.

These are my M/W/F afterschool kids, Henry looks like I think he feels about being in a class of all girls but me. Most of these kids have spent time abroad and have a great grip on english already. right now we're reading a drastically abridged version of "The Nutcracker"
These kids shouldn't be in school at the time I teach them they should be tearing around, building forts, riding bikes, swimming and fighting; not sitting in desks learning another language at 4:30pm. As a result they rarely listen. They still surprise me with how much they do pick up.
Irene (and Steve in the background) brilliant, both of them. We have great classes in which I can talk at a very sophisticated level of English and they still understand (with the help of the dictionary.) Wendy also in the class took the day off (no photo)
This is Will hes going to be a Ninja when he grows up. He may already be a Ninja. He is one of the smallest fiestiest kids I've ever met. Him and Adrian Vanwoerden would get on famously. I teach him art, that is to say I put paint and a brush near him and see how long he's entertained for. I don't teach the kid "standing" next to him; thank the Lord. Today in this class on kid pee'd his pants another drew a penis on a picture of him self and Will here threw lots of paint on the floor and walls. Education; that's what its all about.
These are my Kindergarten kids. 5 days a week for 5 hours I hang out with these kids. We read good books and sing raffi songs, and draw, paint and play in the sand box, we write in our journals and listen to sweet music like Modest Mouse, Niel Young and Sigur Ros
This is Lola, I want to learn Korean because they say this girl has the driest sense of humor, she apparently is continually cracking lines at me that I can't catch.
That is John in my chair. As you can see I surround myself with quality art. Note also the "Where the Wild things are Masks" on the wall. That was a fun class. Alex is the fuzzy guy in front but you'll see him later.
Here they all are.. somewhat. this is from a set of 3 funny progression photos which Ill post later.
This is the school at 1:30 with all the K kids about to get on the buses. My classroom is in the window by the top of red "S" on the sign.
Alex and Tulip madly chopping away.
Julia, drama queen and someone whose humor I understand.
Alex: Very creative, possibly a few candles short of a cathedral.
Gemini and Soo Yeon, two of the sweetest kids. Gemini (the Boy) has the softest heart and is most likely to burst tears of all my students. Soo Yeon's favorite word is Belly button and she is continually sneaking around and poking other peoples. That leaves no mention of Andy, Danny, Rose or Taylor. I will have to get them in later

7 comments:

r.c.f. said...

i can't help but notice that most of the kids seem to have western names--is that pretty common for a lot of people over there? or is it more with this younger generation or with those who've had the opportunity to go abroad?

and thanks again for the pics. very nice. hope you're well.

Swallowfield said...

Dearest Joshua, So fun to look at the photos and read through your comments AND imagine these kids hanging out with you. The masks look great. Love all the colour.
And love you.
Busy week with the last days of school meetings... And Asha is home!! All is well.
MOM

Amanda said...

wow, they look like a riot to work with. great pics! thanks for that!

Mud On His Shoes said...

They all have english names and korean names they either name themselves, like tulip, or we give them names.

Justine Ann said...

awwww! That's what I was thinking while making a stupid pouty face looking at the pictures that I actually hadn't seen until now. The kids all seem so fascinating and the classroom seems bright and comfortable. I bet they think the world of your art-ful approach.

thank-you!

Justine Ann said...

oh, and did you end up buying a new sweet guitar to play raffi songs with?

Mela said...

Cute kids. I'm still impressed that they're being taught English at such a young age. Irene and Steve don't look that old and they understand sophisticated English? That's just amazing!