Sunday, April 22, 2007

Seoul Weekend

I spent the weekend discovering the city and my neighborhood. There is a bar called the Rocky Mountain tavern where I can watch the Canucks games They play them the day after so if you've seen the final scores don't tell me without asking if I've seen it. I watched the game there on friday and then went out with a bunch of people that I met there. then I watched the dissaster of a game there last night. I will be there to watch it on tuesday night. On saturday I had quite the experience I had to get groceries. The format of the store is familiar but nothing on the shelves is. IT took me about two hours not because it was hard but because I really enjoyed wandering and loking at all of the weird things for sale. so many odd veggies and strange meats and animals. Yesterday was earthday I think and I watched barbra walters talking about the rape of the oceans. This is in evidence here. tanks loaded with all kinds of live fish. and clams, crabs and everything else you can think of. It is scary to think of the quantities disappearing everynight on Seoul dinner tables.
Anyway on another note I went guitar shopping. I guy told me about this place that is built over a street in Jung no sam ga where they sell guitars. The place was three stories high and filled with about 300 hundred musical instrument vendors. all kinds of instruments and thousands of guitars. Some really cheap and others fairly normally priced. But the sheer scale that they do things on here was astounding. I didn't end up buying a guitar, but will soon.
Saturday night I went with Reuben and scot and their wives out to this club where their friends were playing. It was a recording studio/ club two bands played the one was a Krazy Korean rock band full of whats becoming typical antics for Koreans which is nutty by american standards more on that later. The other band was a great folk band. the players were all americans that have lived here and speak fluent Korean their lead singer was a Korean girl named Sonny. since everything was in Korean it was hard to follow the lyrics. We all went out after to a wings place. It was great lots of Korean to talk to. Then there were two strange personal connections. The First was that Jon Plantinga came to hang out with his girl friend we had a great time hanging out and catching up I don't think Ive seen him since I was 15. The other was that this girl sitting next to me told me that she knew about Dordt college. She is Korean but grew up in LA. She knew Grace Yoon really sweet Girl that went to Dordt who I went to a conference in Seattle with. It was very bizarre and cool.
Anyway this is an excessive blog. Who reads this much
no camera = no pictures
Ill get one fear not

8 comments:

Amanda said...

weird how small this world can be...

markets = wonderful! i bet the ones around you are a bit more exotic than what i see here... sounds fun.

how much anyone wanna bet he'll get a guitar before he gets a camera?

scott hendric said...

Josh, I can feel the energy in your words. I'm glad that your new adventure is going well.

That being said:
We miss you already.

($20 on a guitar)

Dennis said...

Eager to hear about week 2 and whether you are a happy Mr. Joshua. We can both hear and see through the words that you do love it. But we'd love to see photos too.
All is well and all is well and all manner of things shall be well. God Bless. MOM

Dane said...

its a small world after all,
its a small world after all,
its a small world after all,
its a small, small world!

Wow, that song is quite pathetic when typed out.

Are you looking for a new guitar or another finely aged one?

beim said...

Oh man, the 'happy' Mr. Joshua story is classic. Hilarious. Hope all is well. Will not make any comments about the Canucks.

sara without an 'h' said...

your words are being read, don't you worry.

Mud On His Shoes said...

Thanhks Biemers
What a great game to end the series. There were about twenty of us Cunuck fans screamin and chearing as if it had just happend about 24 hours after game seven. It is great to still be able to watch the games. These Canadians own a bar and tape and show them on the big screen

Roboseyo said...

hey there it's rob. i live right around the corner from where you got your guitar. where do you live?