Wednesday, April 25, 2007

email that made for a good post (its kindof cheating I know)

HelloThings are going really well. Work has been hard the kids get better and then regress into madness. This morning was particularly draining. I have a student who seems to want to push me at every step. And the worst part is that he can't speak much English and so he talks back in Korean and the other kids laugh. It's quite frustrating. Anyway the afternoon went much better.
last night I hung out with Chunghee Lee, Kenny Lee's cousin. He's a really neat guy we went for an amazing dinner and then wandered around Gungnam O, he showed me a lot of cool places my favorite being the batting range on top of a store parking lot. we were cracking balls in a batting cage while people are getting into there cars five feet below. Only in Korea.
There is just so much to see and hear and do. Getting food has been the hardest thing. I can see why being in a place is the fastest way to learn a language. there is so much that is necessary and ordinary that I can't accomplish with ease. However the food, when it comes, is amazing. Last night we ate a Beef sum Gap salle (spelled horribly) . There's a little bbq and coals in the middle of the table and a long tray of different greens. You fry the thinly sliced beef marinated in a garlic sauce and then wrap it with greens and Kimchi and a soy paste and garlic clove and other unknown things and then stuff the big package into your face. it is great social eating. We also had some Soju Plum wine which was delicious. After dinner we cleared our palettes with cold noodle soup, not my favorite.
I think I am going to use some of this on my blog I just don't feel like having to write about it all again. Anyway things are good I do miss being at home. I miss you and I am sorry that I can't be there to hang out with Rue and Asia. I miss the quiet and the clean air. And quiet glasses of wine and books, and newspapers that I can read.
I will talk to you Soon. I can't get a phone until I have my papers and I can't get my papers until I go to japan and I can't go to Japan until Dordt sends me a new transcript that has an official seal over the flap. I told them to put a wax seal on it next time...chuckle headed honkies.
anyway. I am going to watch the Hockey game tonight so don't tell me the score. In Fact NEVER TELL ME THE SCORE. Or talk about the score or make reference to the score. we watch the Canucks games about 24 hrs after they happen.
I love you and will write soon
Love Joshua

6 comments:

Amanda said...

who cares if its cheating when its good?

you've got one heck of a life, mr. joshua.

good luck with the language. you're really gonna need it for that "woo-a-girl-and-get-rich" scheme...

Dennis said...

Dearest Joshua,
Keep looking up.
All is well, all is well and all manner of things shall be well.
Mom

Jeffy said...

gonna teach me some youngun's and get me a hot asian wife eh?
haha!
it's better than my plan viz. nothing...

Mela said...

I had to play a little catch up on your blog. Haven't been here in a while I guess. Sounds like one hell of a place. I hope the language learning goes well for you.

Dane said...

hey, cheatings better then my "just not caring to blog" attitude right now!

Rachel:) said...

wow! Josh, it sounds like you are having quite an adventure! What are you teaching? English? At any rate, it sounds fun! Blessings!