Sunday, January 07, 2007

Sunday afternoon, Knitting, Palestine, Manderlay

I have taken up knitting. its fairly mind numbing and I don't like that about it. after about three rows I feel like placing the needles on a machine that will continue the rest for me. The scarves I am making however are awsome and so the reward is big.
I called sioux center this afternoon it is still there.
I have been reading Jimmy Carter's book "Palistine; Peace not appartheid" it makes me rant and rave and froth at the mouth, this means its good, but very troubling. I did'nt have a good grip on the inter-national politics of the region and this book makes many of those things clear. It should be read by anyone who either doesn't really understand whats happening there or just thinks that Isreal is the people of God and they should get to do what they want.....because they should'nt get to. I should probobly write a more in depth essay and post it but right now I can't.
I also saw Lars Von Triers film "Manderlay" this weekend it is the second part in his series critiquing american culture, which began with "Dogville." I highly recomend it, with a warning that its not a good date movie, kind of like passion o the Christ... Dane that warnings for you. Anyway I am interested to hear what some of you who have seen it thought.
I was particularly struck but the shift in Grace's character from a passive role to a very active and affective role. I found her to take on the character of wazizname from Dogville the young idealist.
Well, time short, must go

7 comments:

danny said...

lady grey, sweet lady grey...

if i had known how to get a hold of you i would have. i was in summerland, b.c. around christmas. didn't know if you were in langley... shoot.

i find it funny that you list "confessions of st. augustine" as one of your favorite books, as you still have my copy of it.

-danny k.

sara without an 'h' said...

Another really good book about the theological (mis)understanding of the Israel/Palestinian is "Whose Land? Whose Promise?" by Gary Burge. Just in case you want to rant and froth at the mouth again.

Dane said...

yeah, i could have figured that manderlay would not be a good "date movie." Thanks for the o so wise advise on that one. Although that also depends on what you think is a good date movie but Lars' movies probably never fit that category, or movies portraying the death of Christ(what the heck was I thinking?). That is one of those things chalked up on the list of stupid things that I've done. I should see if I can download manderlay . . .

Mud On His Shoes said...

Yes Dane you should, sorry for the public humiliation, I do it couse I love you best when your humble. ok scratch that I love you even when your're a miserable biznatch.

Mud On His Shoes said...

Sara Im not sure I can handle more frothing. I finished the book this morning. its is really good riviting and solidly controversial.

Mud On His Shoes said...

oh Danny boy the the pipes the pipes are calling. Where are you now? so about confessions come visit and the book is yours again. I guess I could mail it if I knowed where you wuz and what you wuz doin.

Dunkleburger said...

hi josh, glad to hear you finished palestine...what a place eh?