Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Well ain't it a funny ole worl'.

I guess this is more on the whole coincidence thing. Shane Claiborne spoke at TWU yesterday and today and I made the hefty 10 minute drive to go and listen. What a guy, truly revolutionary. the dreadlocked baggy clothed Phillidelphian urban farmer, enemy of poverty and full time lover with a fresh eye for the gospel had quite the impact on ole Josher here. His book was a shake, but to be sitting with him and talking to him a few days after finishing the book and thinking "dang Id like to meet that guy" was quite a trip. I guess it just makes sense but then again, how? I don't really know. Then by Buechneresque coincidence the organizer asked me of all people what I was doing after chapel and would I be able to get him to the airport? HA!
so I did. I guess its not the Worl' thats so funny but God.
One interesting anecdote I learned from Shane was the root of the coloquialism "spittin' image" as in "well ain't he the spitting image of Jesus." which fits nicely because when said without the southern drawl "spittin image" breaks into "Spirit and image" this cat sure was in this case the Spirit and image of Jesus.
The other funny ole worl' thing thats only funny because I don't really feel like crying about it is that we got a huge snowstorm today. Now snowstorms are great right, and they bring school closures and fun and tabogans and skis, but I rely on schools being open for my $ and my arms hurt pretty bad right now so I can't mess around in it. Also we aren't supposed to get snowstorms like this here, they're supposed to be on the other side of the mountains and country, and on the east coast theyre playing BC winter games like golf. That burns a hole in my gut when mixed with that huge chunk of Ellis Island up in the artic that just melted off, and mixed with the Detroit auto show that reported no news of any hydro powered line of cars instead the new Dodge Avenger V10, and mixed with George "Avenger" Bush's speech on the new strategery for Iraq which is not funny or cute but just f*C%'n scary. more war not less, Where is the Peace plan. can I get an amen computer land? The time has come the walrus and the drowning polar bear said, to talk of other things. It is time for the massive change I dream of and I know it starts with me so a little help and a lot of hugs are in order. Stanley Park is a windswept mess today with a hundred acres of ancient trees fallen over, My great grandparents are dead if you know what I mean.
Alright, Im not done, but Ill stop; it gets me a lot scared though. I need a car to work tommorow but driving it causes the problems that makes going to work futile. argh I was gonna stop.
I live on a farm, I can grow my own food.
I know how to knit and sew, I will make my own clothes.
I can paint and teach and that is beautiful (most of the time)
I have friends, that is good in itself but they also have many talents, and friends, that can help
Massive Change any one? im in, lets talk.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

wouldn't it be great if we could look through some time-peek-hole and see what this world will be like in the next few decades? we could either a) be comforted that things aren't as bad as we now think they will be, or (more likely), b) see that them crazy scientists have been right for years and show the world a the scary picture that their future will be if they don't change.

i wonder if i would do anything differently if i could see my future...?

sara without an 'h' said...

amen!

Rachel:) said...

i'll give you an amen! I was appalled to hear such things! sorry about that job, bummer. what are you doing now?
you could live vicariously through me and give me some teaching tips for k-8 art. Your blog was an intresting read, i haven't been hear for a while. langley got that much snow? yikes! its kinda like denver!
i forgot what eles i was going to say. Well i hope your doing well!

Dunkleburger said...

i'm there...we should all drive vw diesels that run on used veggie oil!!!! yeah?...ok

Dunkleburger said...

and by "i'm there," i meant i'm in total agreement, not that veggie oil vws are the full solution